I confess: I am officially a blog slacker. I have no excuses… but maybe a few explanations: e.g. reading Twilight to see what all the hype was about and then getting sucked into the entire series; discovering cross country skiing trails in my neighborhood; spending time with the perfect pair: a good book with a freshly brewed cup of green tea.
So, just in time to sneak in a “Best of” list before 2008 ticks away, I offer my favorite books, in no particular order, of the year:
1. When a Crocodile Eats the Sun: A Memoir of Africa (Peter Godwin)
2. The World Is What It Is: the Authorized Biography of V.S. Naipual (Patrick French)
3. Oracle Bones: A Journey Between China’s Past and Present (Peter Hessler)
4. The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million (Daniel Mendelsohn)
5. The Night of the Gun: A Reporter Investigates the Darkest Story of His Life. His Own. (David Carr)
1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery)
2. Serena (Ron Rash)
3. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (Murakami Haruki)
4. Out Stealing Horses (Per Petterson)
5. Loving Frank (Nancy Horan)
Peace, good health and quality books to all in 2009!